New Skill: Bible Memory

I'll be honest, I think my beginning-of-the-year goal of learning new skills is about to come to an end.

Not that I'm giving up on all those new skills completely, but I'm going to go more into "maintenance mode." With one near-full-time job plus two part-time jobs, I think you'll understand.

My goal for last month (Computer Programming), started out well, but petered out over the last few weeks. It was interesting, but I can't see myself needing to become an expert or utilizing it down the road.

Now, as I move forward, I'll still try to keep up with my Spanish (I hope to finish Year 2 by the end of this year) and my ukulele. But that's about it.

Except for . . .

Improving My Bible Memory

As with all my goals (learning new skills), one main purpose is to exercise my brain, besides any other benefits. And I want to keep stretching and strengthening my brain. In October, I will do that by working on Bible Memory.

I already do Bible memory every day using a free on-line program called Memverse. (It's free, but they still have a referral program. If you want to sign up, please use this link.) I've been using this program for almost 2 years now, and it's become a nice habit to have.

We have our children memorizing Scripture, too. Some verses are for our family's focus for the year, and they all work on these. And some verses are specific for each of their personalities and needs.

There are lots of great reasons to memorize Scripture, and I encourage you to read what Tim Challies and Jon Bloom have to say. Here are three basic reasons for us:
  1. Spiritual discipline.  I think God honors small steps of continual faithfulness. Making this a regular habit is a way to follow God, and respond to His pursuit of me. 
  2. Pursuit of holiness.  We are called to "think about" (Philippians 4:8) things that are right and pure and lovely, and Scripture is the most positive thing I can be thinking about. Along with this, hiding God's word in my heart can help keep me from sinning against Him (Psalm 119:11).
  3. Time of need.  I remember coming off of anesthesia when I had my knee surgery. I don't think I ever felt so much pain. Immediately, and without thinking about it, I began reciting Psalm 23. Besides helping me to focus on and trust in God, I may have also been a witness to the nurses who were in the room. (I don't know. I was still pretty drugged up.)
I already spend about 10-15 minutes each morning using Memverse. My goal this month is to do some other Bible memory stuff in the evenings.

If you are not spending consistent time trying to memorize God's word, I encourage you to start today. Try using Memverse, and take it slow. Little steps of faithfulness lead to great progress over time.

Of course, there are lots of methods and tools to help you with Bible memory. Do you have any suggestions? Let us know in the comments.

**image courtesy of silegl69 via free images

No comments :

Post a Comment