Big Truths: On a Mission Like Jesus

I shared this photo last month (Instagram: JoeyEspinosa).

I love visual illustrations and reminders. I regularly confiscate our family's dry erase board to pen thoughts and inspirations. And I often use it to sketch visual ideas of what I'm trying to teach our kids.

This was a simple illustration which we had discussed as a family over breakfast. Here's what I was teaching them:
  • Jesus had a mission to bring Good News.
  • He was sent on this mission by the Father and empowered by the Holy Spirit. 
  • Likewise, we are sent by the same Father and empowered by the same Spirit to bring the Gospel to the world.


I'm not great about doing regular family devotions, and when I do them, they usually do not involve a grand euphoric moment where my kids tell me that I'm the best dad ever. But it is important for me to teach them God's truth from His word. So, I stumble along and do my best (by the power of the Spirit, of course).

Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God I've already recommended the book Big Truths for Young Hearts (by Bruce Ware). I love how this book methodically takes deep concepts, and puts it in a language that I can explain to my kids.

If you don't have a copy, be sure to buy one soon! Your kids will tell you that you're the best parent ever.

Well, maybe not. But your kids will learn some important theology. And that's more important than any praise you get from them.


PS -- Some of you know that I also gave my kids this follow-up assignment. We had talked about two roles that the Holy Spirit has in the lives of Christians (gives us new life, and brings us into one body/family). They were to come up with His other main task.

See if you can come up with the 3rd role:



My answer (actually, Bruce Ware's answer) is that the Holy Spirit changes and empowers us to say and do things that bring glory to Jesus. My kids had focused on specific tasks, like evangelism, service, and making us holy. But I think the author's answer encompasses all of that.

Do you want to have family discussions like this? Then buy your copy of Big Truths for Young Hearts today!

Related Links:

No comments :

Post a Comment