One Small Thing: 10 Mindful Minutes

Doing nothing is hard work.

My goal this month was to spend 10 minutes each day doing nothing. I got the idea from this video:




No doubt, this goal has been my toughest one all year. I did well with it the first week of the month, but that probably had something to do with the fact I was on vacation at the beach. But for most of the month, I failed. Royally.

I struggle to slow down, to Take a Rest. It's not just a physical thing, but my brain has a hard time disconnecting. I fall asleep thinking about things, and wake up thinking about other things. And guess what I do all the time in between? Think.

If there was any decision I made that has helped me disconnect, it was to disable email notifications on my phone. (Thanks for the tip, Tim Challies.) It sounds simple enough, and you may not think it has a big impact. After all, I still can check my email on my phone, and still do if I have a few minutes here and there throughout my day.

But now I control my email, instead of allowing my email to control me. It's hard to explain, but this has allowed me to disconnect mentally, and it feels like a burden has been lifted.

July Small Thing: Run a "Marathon"

No, I will not run an official marathon. I will run a total of 26 miles this month.

Sure, you exercise people may laugh at me, but I hate jogging, and I haven't run 26 miles in a month in 18 years. And I will be doing this in the middle of a busy month (between camps and football practice), and in the middle of a hot month in Allendale, SC.


How about you? How are your goals coming along?

#1smallthing

Related Link:

2 comments :

  1. Don't sell yourself short. Put in the last .2!

    ReplyDelete