Devotional Reading

If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you know that nearly every day I post a quote from Oswald Chambers, from the book My Utmost for His Highest.

I usually read a selection in addition to my regular Bible reading. And instead of following it day-by-day, I'm just working my way through this devotional over the last year-and-a-half.

Chambers' writings have been challenging for me, helping me realize that I too often seek God's blessings and God's will, instead of simply pursuing God Himself. His blessings are meant to be an effect of a relationship with Him, not the purpose of a relationship. I need to be reminded regularly that God's main desire for me is to draw near to Him.

Now that I am almost done with this book, I'm considering using another devotional-type book as part of morning time with God. Here are some thoughts:
Do you have any books that you'd recommend? You can let me know in the comments.

Thanks!

image courtesy of Amazon.com

4 comments :

  1. I have been doing Jesus Calling and love it. Everyday seems to be exactly what I need for that day. It has become my new favorite devotional... I highly recommend it.

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that suggestion.

    And here were a few more that I got from posting on Facebook:
    -- any book by Jim Cymbala
    -- The Good News We Almost Forgot (DeYoung)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jesus Calling crosses the line because author speaks in the voice of Jesus. I fear this will be confusing to many, especially as there are devotions that may require correction from scripture. For example, the devotion is not written from a "law and gospel" perspective. The perspective seems to be focused on how to use scripture to make the believer feel good about God's love for them. A recent quote from John Piper comes to mind..."You are precious to God. And God loves you so much that He will not let your preciousness to Him be your god." That sentiment seems to be lacking in some of the devotions, and I can see where one would need to be reminded that we were created for God's glory, not the other way around There's also the command of not adding anything to the Word (Rev 22:18). The author states in the introduction that she does not equate these writings with the inspired Word of God, but it still feels that way as I read it. One must continue to remind himself that Sarah is using Jesus' voice to lend credibility to her own understanding and hermeneutics of scripture. In addition, the idea of "dialogging" (Sarah Young's words, not mine) with God outside of his Word is characteristic of the new "Emergent" church movement, which is a big red flag. I think a lot of the points that Sarah Young makes in her book are very good, but we should not be comfortable with it being written in the voice of Jesus. Also, the "dialoging," or extra revelation, is not edifying for the believer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insight. Actually, your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete