A Dream for My Kids

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.”  
A couple of Sundays ago, I took my kids to a newly renovated park in Allendale. There were already some children and parents there, including some that we know, on this warm and sunny day. The kids enjoyed playing around and making up games with old and new friends, before we headed back home.
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.
As we were leading up to this day -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day -- I used our dinner time conversation as an intentional teaching moment. I explained how great it was that they could enjoy playing with other kids who look so different and come from a different background. Praise God that my kids think this is nothing special, but I reminded them that opportunity wasn't always the norm.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. 
I'm thankful for the leadership and vision of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And I'm thankful that God has given my children the chance to experience the fruits of his work, firsthand.
I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I'm thankful for his dream, and my reality.
I have a dream today.

image courtesy of chelle2008 via sxc.hu

No comments :

Post a Comment